Endovenous Thermal Ablation
What is Endovenous Thermal Energy Treatment?
What are the Advantages of Thermal Energy Treatment?
- No vein stripping – No surgery!
- It is an in-office procedure – No hospitalization!
- Walk in and walk out in about an hour!
- A nearly pain-free procedure
- Only requires local anesthesia
- No scalpels, no incisions, and no unsightly scars
- Immediate return to most normal activities
- Thermal energy has a 98% success rate
- Rapid recovery with minimal post-procedure pain
- The procedure is covered by most medical insurance
What Should I Expect with Thermal Energy Treatment?
On the day of the procedure, you should:
- Avoid the use of lotion on the legs
- Wear or bring a pair of loose-fitting shorts (We can provide disposable shorts if needed)
- Bring your compression hose
- Drink plenty of water on the day of treatment
- Remember it is fine to eat on the day of the procedure, but you may want to avoid eating a heavy meal just prior to treatment and you may want to consider a light snack if it has been several hours since you last ate.
What Should I Expect After Thermal Energy Treatment?
- Immediately after the procedure, you will be asked to put on your compression hose and walk or cycle for 10 minutes.
- It is important for you to wear your medical-grade compression hose for 7-10 days after the procedure. Compression hose help your circulation and serve to reduce swelling, reduce inflammation, reduce complications, and speed healing.
- During this healing process walking and normal daily activities are strongly encouraged.
- Complications from the treatment are extremely rare.
- Bruising, minor soreness, and a feeling of tightness are normal and will pass.
- If needed, the mild discomfort can be relieved by an over the counter pain reliever.
- A follow-up ultrasound will be scheduled.
- Extremely strenuous activities should be avoided for a few days after the procedure.
Thermal energy treats the source of varicose veins and takes the pressure off of the visible varicose veins, allowing sclerotherapy treatment to be much more effective. Most patients will require sclerotherapy treatments to comprehensively address the entire problem.