What is Conservative Treatment?
Conservative treatment includes measures to maintain venous health that do not involve procedures. These measures include:
- Walking or other cardiovascular exercise of the legs
- Avoidance of prolonged sitting or standing
- Leg elevation
- Compression socks or stockings (Prescription Grade 20-30 mmHg)
- Oral venoactive drugs (including but not limited to horse chestnut seed extract and micronized purified flavonoid fraction)
- Maintaining a proper weight
Who should undergo Conservative Treatment?
Some patients such as those who are confined to a bed or wheelchair are not candidates for definitive vein treatments, making conservative treatment the only option. Documentation of conservative treatment in a medical record is often a requirement of insurance companies before pursuing definitive treatments. Since vein disease is progressive, maintaining venous health, particularly with exercise, weight control and the use of compression hose during long travel or immobility, can be beneficial even after definitive treatments.
We can help with conservative and definitive vein treatments. To assist with your conservative treatment, we offer a variety of medical grade compression socks and stockings.